Saturday 27 August 2011

Fun in the Background

Had a bit of a panic attack the other day as I worked out how long we have until this film is to be finished......yep BIG panic.....but lets not talk about that here.....safe to say it was a kick up the backside and I am now firmly focused on seeing Draco through to a successful end.

This weekend I imported the backgrounds from Photoshop to Toon Boom Animate Pro, having seen the latest Toon Boom tutorials I thought i would try importing them as grouped PSD files as I was aiming for a multidimensional feel to the environment. This process was less than successful and after an entire day of trying absolutely everything and support from online animators this is what I ended up with, we were stumped:

What ended up being imported


what it is supposed to look like
 So after much Facebooking, it was decided that I attempt a different route. I essentially saved a master copy of the background as a JPEG then took key components and saved them as PNGs to enable the illusion of a 3D envrionment. Many of the outside earlier shots already have a sense of depth and as the camera is not moving through the environment I thought that this was a more than pleasing result. In the latter stages of the film, in particular in the cave, it was important for the characters to appear 'in' the environment rather than in front of it, the use of the PNG objects moved closer or further away from the camera in Toon Boom creates this illusion effectively.

3D illusion in Toon Boom



No comments:

Post a Comment